Posted On May 15, 2025

Violence Erupts at Nkwanta SHS as Students Vandalise School Property Over Phone Seizure

IBRAHIM NASINMONG ADAMU 0 comments
www.prime3electech.com >> Education >> Violence Erupts at Nkwanta SHS as Students Vandalise School Property Over Phone Seizure

Tension gripped Nkwanta Senior High School in the Oti Region on Tuesday evening after a group of enraged students launched a violent protest, vandalising school property—including a school bus—following a search operation by teachers to confiscate unauthorized mobile phones.

Also Read: The Digital Dilemma: Understanding the Effects of Prolonged Cartoon Watching and Gaming on Children

The incident, which occurred around 8 p.m. on May 13, 2025, has left school authorities and local officials deeply concerned about student discipline and safety on campus.

Headmaster Solomon Bagman, who was off-campus at the time of the disturbance, described the situation as alarming. He confirmed that teachers conducted a targeted search for mobile phones, but were shocked to discover other contraband items, including knives, pliers, and what he called “sophisticated gadgets.”

“Where did the students even get money to buy such dangerous tools?” the headmaster questioned, expressing disbelief at the range of items seized during the operation.

Additionally, Mr. Bagman disclosed that clothing not sanctioned by the school—used by students to sneak off campus—was also confiscated, suggesting a wider issue of rule-breaking among students.

Local Authorities Intervene

In response to the unrest, Headmaster Bagman swiftly contacted security personnel to restore order. No injuries have been reported so far, but the destruction of school assets has raised concerns over rising indiscipline in second-cycle institutions.

Municipal Chief Executive Joseph Awal Antwi called for calm, assuring both students and staff that security forces were managing the situation and working to prevent further escalation.

“We urge everyone to remain calm and allow the security officers to handle the matter,” he said.

Academic Activities to Continue

Despite the unrest, the Nkwanta Municipal Education Director, Jonathan Korsinah, has instructed teachers to resume classes while efforts are made to address the root causes of the incident.

“Teaching and learning must continue,” he said, noting that further discussions and disciplinary actions would follow once the situation is fully assessed.

Authorities are expected to launch a formal investigation into the causes of the student unrest, with possible sanctions for those found culpable. Meanwhile, parents and guardians have been urged to speak with their wards and reinforce the importance of discipline and respect for school rules.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post

GES Moves to Validate and Reinstate Affected Staff After Appointment Revocation

In a bold move aimed at ensuring efficiency and transparency within Ghana's educational system, the…

NGOs Urge Greater Investment in Ghana’s Education Sector to Unlock Children’s Potential

Education is the cornerstone of national development, serving as the key to unlocking the potential…

GES Directs Closure of Public Pre-Tertiary Schools on March 28 for National CPD Day: What It Means for Teachers, Students, and Parents

The Ghana Education Service (GES) has officially announced the closure of all public pre-tertiary schools…